Drohobych I, 2013
- Abused, obliterated, destroyed: Synagogues in the Ukraine
- exclusive edition of the book »Ukraine Series«
- edition + book
- Johanna Diehl
- Sheet: 35 x 28 cm, Picture: 27 x 20 cm
- C-Print (analog hand print)
- Limited Edition: 12 + II AP, signed, numbered
In 2013, the artist Johanna Diehl visited former synagogues in the territory of what is now Ukraine. Partially destroyed during the German occupation, the buildings were completely repurposed during the Soviet era: as auto repair shops, vinegar factories, clinics, cinemas, sewing workshops, gymnasiums, or KGB prisons.
The sensitive, yet unsparing photographs, taken with a large-format camera, are enriched by very personal literary texts by Yuri Andrukhovych, Ukraine’s most renowned author today.